This breakfast bowl will leave you toasty warm going into those brutally cold winter mornings. The maple and pecans go so well together with the nuttiness of the quinoa. Tip: be sure to rinse the quinoa thoroughly to remove the natural coating, called saponin, which can make it taste bitter or soapy.
Quinoa is a known as a complete protein – which means it contains all 9 essential amino acids. Cinnamon naturally regulates your blood sugar so you won’t have sugar crashes at 10 am your desk. Packed with fiber and protein this bowl will keep you full until lunch time.
Enjoy on a weekend or make ahead and have a toasty breakfast bowl all week long!
What You’ll Need:
- 1 cup dry quinoa
- 2 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk – vanilla if you want
- 1 banana cut up
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1.5 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup + 1 Tbsp for serving
What To Do:
- In a fine mesh strainer, rinse the quinoa thoroughly
- In a large pot bring the almond milk to a boil, adding quinoa
- Let come to a boil and then turn down to a simmer and cover with a lid – 5 minutes
- Add sea salt, and banana let sit – covered for 10 more minutes
- When the banana is completely mushed into the quinoa/milk add all remaining ingredients, reserving handful of pecans and 1 Tbsp of maple syrup for plating.
- Cover with everything added and let sit on low simmer , covered for another 5 minutes – always taste test to see if quinoa is done and not crunchy.
- Should make about 4 – 5 servings AKA 1 for me 😉 Enjoy babes! This was a yummy, hearty, whole food breaky as requested! Xxoo. tag #leavesandbubbly PS!