Chickpeas are the bomb. Each cup contains 15 grams of plant powered protein. 1 cup also packs almost 13 grams of fiber which keeps you full & away from the nasty junk foods. I love them because they are SO versatile, you can blend them and bake with them, roast them into crunchy salad toppers or blend them up and make hummus- This hummus takes about 10 minutes to blend up! also BONUS this amazing & adorable way to take your hummus to work or for the kiddies to take to school! Check it out below:
What You’ll Need:
- 1 1/2 cups of rinsed, cooked chickpeas
- juice of 1 large lemon
- 3 Tbsp tahini paste * optional, i don’t love it so i don’t add it *
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 2-3 Tbsp water
- Dash of ground cayenne pepper for serving
- Jar with a wide mouth & lid
- empty apple sauce container ( small ones ) see pics – Try using the apple sauce in my Coconut Apple Muffins RECIPE HERE
- Chopped up veggies of choice – I used carrots, celery and bell peppers sliced
What To Do:
- Blend the chickpeas to start, pulsing and adding the entire recipe slowly
- Blend until becomes super smooth – can take about 10 mins.. be patient and scrape down the sides of the blender as you go
- Next slice up your veggies of choice length wise and throw them in a large jar
- Next empty the small applesauce container into a bowl ( or try my recipe with it!)
- Clean out the applesauce container and scoop a good serving of hummus into it
- Now, take the lid and place it on top of the applesauce container full of hummus
- Put the container sealed with the lid on top of the jar full of veggies and screw the lid to seal tight on to the jar… see pics as its kinda hard to explain!
- Perfect amount for on the go, or for the kiddos!!
- I will say you can also do this life-hack jar trick with yogurt and put granola in the top container so it doesn’t get soggy… Amaaaaze.