It is ALMOST summer … sort of, well no… not really it’s actually the second day of spring today but who cares. After what feels like 397 months of winter, us Winnipegers are ready. Perfect BBQ meals are a must for spring & summer alike. These ultra lean turkey burger sliders will keep you full and satisfied, made with a mix of wild and brown rice, an egg and some sharp parmigiano-reggiano cheese & topped with a sweet potato slice as the bun. These sliders are filled with healthy complex carbs, which means you will be full and satisfied at lunch or dinner and not constantly be reaching for dessert/anything you can find. I hope you love these sliders as much as Nola did 😉
What You’ll Need:
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 1 cup of wild,brown or mixed rice
- 1 pound of organic, free range ground turkey
- 1 free range, organic egg
- 1/3 cup of grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- 1/2 cup of fresh basil, chopped finely
- handful of red pepper flakes * optional*
- Extra virgin Olive oil
I also made my detox salad on the side, just look to my other salad recipes in the blog *
What To Do:
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees
- Start off by cooking the rice according to the directions ( i used a blend of wild, brown and basmati, but feel free to use your fav)
- While the rice is cooking, slice up your sweet potato in decently thin disks, like I would say 2 cm’s thick so they cook up evenly. Keep the skin on for extra nutrition!
- Throw all the sweet potato disks in a large bowl and coat evenly with olive oil & S & P
- On a baking sheet lay our the sweet potato disks, making sure they are not over lapping ( you’ll have to use 2 sheets probably)
- Throw the sweet pot’s in the oven and then make sure your rice isnt burning. When the rice is done and there is not water left take off the element and set aside.
- Set the timer on your oven for 45 minutes, this is how long the sweet potato disks will take * you have to turn them after 20 mins*
- In a large bowl, dump in all of the turkey burger ingredients except the egg ( cooked rice, Turkey, cheese, basil and red pepper flakes)
- Mix together & then add the egg and mix again
- Next, form the turkey burger mixture in to small balls and press them down * note the patties should be the same size as the sweet potato disks so that they fit in it
- Heat up a pan with olive oil and then cook the turkey burgers until any pink is gone flipping half way through should take about 10 minutes.
- Take the sweet potato tops out of the oven and load em up!
- Add the turkey burger on top of one disk and top with the other ( like a bun)
- I used hummus, lettuce, sprouts and organic ketchup & hot sauce ( this combo was amaze)
- Serve up & be amazed at how healthy & satisfying these bun- less wonders are!
- enjoy babes!