I have been asked quite a bit lately to make something that is a little more simple & cost effective. Believe me I know that healthy food is NOT cheap. I know that switching to this lifestyle can seem very daunting at times but I promise you, if you slowly incorporate amazing clean whole foods you will feel like a million bucks & you won’t even mind spending that extra bit on organic or whole foods. The process is gradual. Change takes time. And all of us have to work within our budgets. I guarantee though that you will begin to look at processed foods for what they actually are… junk. Your body will crave healthy whole foods & the results will be physical as well as mental… Swear. To keep my costs down though I do mostly always follow :
The Dirty Dozen (in order of contamination) – Always buy Organic
Sweet bell peppers
The Clean 15 (in order of least contamination) – Buy Conventional but Peel Always
This list from David Suzuki lists the “Dirty Dozen” & the “Clean Fifteen”. The dirty dozen are those fruits and veggies that are the most sprayed with chemicals and do not have peels to protect them. The clean fifteen typically have peels so always take the peels off and clean thoroughly.
This Chick Pea Edamame Pasta with Sun dried Tomato & Spinach is super filling the pasta packs about 18 G of protein per serving! Not to mention the fibre from the chickpeas and spinach! This pasta will ring you up about 2 $ per serving & takes around 11 minutes to whip up and will serve about 4 people!
What You’ll Need:
- Edamame & Mung Bean Pasta -> Looks like THIS. I bought mine at superstore
- 1/4 cup Sun Dried tomatoes, not packed in oil
- Organic Canned Chickpeas
- Classico Sun Dried tomato pesto ( I would usually make my own but hey I was in a rush)
- 2 Cups Organic Spinach
- 4 tsps Hot sauce
- 2 tbl organic extra virgin olive oil
What To Do:
- Cook edamame pasta according to directions ( just boil water and throw it in ) takes about 6 mins
- Drain and rinse chickpeas thoroughly
- In a large bowl Mix together full can of chickpeas, 2 cups spinach, sun dried tomatoes , 3 TBL of sun dried pesto & olive oil
- Next drain the pasta and dump on the spinach/chickpea mixture. This will wilt the spinach just enough to make it steamed and yummy.
- Toss all together until the pasta is evenly coated
- Sprinkle with nutritional yeast or parmigiano reggiano cheese & hot sauce!
- $$$$ cheap & so easy $$$$