This Mac & Cheese is theee perfect after holidays meal…. sound weird? It’s true! This is no ordinary KD or Annie’s Mac & Cheese this creamy Mac is packed with antioxidant rich vitamins from sweet potato , healthy fats from the cashews & loaded with B vitamins from Nutritional Yeast.
See the pictures below the recipe for step by step Pics!
What You’ll Need For the Cheese Sauce Portion:
- 1/2 cup cashews soaked for 2 hours then drained
- 1 smalls sweet potato diced
- 1 Tbl pumpkin puree *optional
- 1 Tbl Hemp hearts * optional
- 1 cup veggie broth
- 3 Tbl nutritional yeast
- 1/2 cup chopped carrots
- 2 TBl fresh lemon juice
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp coconut oil for sauteing
What to do for the cheese sauce:
- In a medium pot saute the garlic & onion with the coconut oil until translucent in color.
- Next add in the 1 cup of veggie broth with the sweet potato, carrots and cashews in that same pot
- let boil in the veggie broth until the sweet potato & carrot can easily be cut
- Once boiled, CAREFULLY pour the broth and veggie mix in to your high speed blender that is VENTED * do not do this if your blender isnt vented it will explode like a volcano*
- Next in the blender, add in all of your spices, nutritional yeast and fresh lemon juice, hemp hearts and pumpkin puree.
- Blend, starting at low speed , moving to a high speed for about 2 minutes until creamy like a cheese sauce would look 😉
- * Note if you do not have a blender suitable, you may add all these ingredients in to your pot and use an immersion blender!
For the Pasta:
- Take 8 ounces of pasta ( preferably brown rice ) shells are the best 🙂
- In a large pot fill 2/3 full with water, sprinkle in 2 tsp of sea salt into the water, let boil
- Next add in your pasta, cook until al dente
- Drain & set aside
- Take the very hot cheese sauce we made & pour it all over your pasta, I like to finish it off with some fresh ground pepper but up to you !